A collection of artifacts from the 1856 archaeology excavation of the 17th century Myles Standish home in Duxbury will be on display throughout October for Massachusetts Archaeology Month.
This exhibit is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays, Oct. 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30, in the library at Pilgrim Hall Museum, 75 Court St.
The Standish archaeological excavation was one of the first professional digs in the United States. Conducted by James Hall during the fall of 1856, the excavation uncovered the home site of Myles Standish dating from ca. 1630 to 1660s. Hall created a detailed plan of the site, which is included with the collection. The importance of the site lies in its scientific methodology, the variety and quality of the objects uncovered, and its bearing on the early architecture of the Plymouth Colony.
The site is maintained by the town of Duxbury as a small park on the edge of Standish Shore. On display will be archeological fragments of tools, windows, pipes, weapons, books, household implements and a sundial, accompanied by James Hall’s original plan of the site. Supplementary materials will include historic and modern photos of the site, maps and other Standish-related objects. Staff and volunteers will be on hand to answer questions and discuss the artifacts with visitors, enabling an up-close view of this rare collection.
Residents of Plymouth are admitted free to Pilgrim Hall Museum. For non-residents: adult, $8; seniors (62-plus) and AAA members, $6; children (5-17), $5. Hours are from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. seven days a week. For more information, call 508-746-1620 or visit www.pilgrimhall.org.
Source from great site : http://www.wickedlocal.com
Read more interesting topic about archaeology excavations.